Monday, September 11, 2017

In the Header: Ruth Hiller

Superdrive, 2014, pigmented beeswax on panel, 20 x 60 x 2 inches


“Having been schooled in a rigorously minimalist fashion, I am driven to break away from the panel and create outside the box. Color, minimalism, science, and mathematics have interested me throughout my painting career. My use of material is the unifying thread that ties these concerns together. I am a surface fetishist.

“This work, from my series Soft Geometry, juxtaposes my interest in geometry with my desire to deconstruct strict parameters. I challenge the visual properties of the sculptural, translucent, sensual, natural beeswax to create shapes that appear plastic looking and factory made. This reflects my occupation with contemporary society: the need for hard edge perfection, consumerism and obsession with technology. Complex societal conditions have impelled me to simplify my visual language.”

Visit Ruth's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment